Need ideas for easy weeknight dinners that are as nutritious as they are delicious? Try this Steak + Roast Veggie Bowl that only takes about 30 mins to make!
While I am an enthusiastic proponent of meal prep and batch cooking, sometimes it’s nice to have something fresh and still quick to make after a busy week day. This is where the humble sheet pan is my favourite cooking tool!
With chicken, fish, sausages, etc, I typically cook them right on the pan with the veggies, but a good steak deserves a finer touch.
While a grill would be lovely, I simply use my cast iron fry pan. The trick is to properly preheat the pan before adding the oil and steak (same tip for cooking eggs!).
Roasting your veg in the oven is much faster than cooking in a pan, and they get lovely crispy edges if you give them enough space and leave them alone while they cook.
Make this meal even easier and more economical by purchasing stir-fry strip loin or stewing beef cubes instead of cutting up a more expensive steak yourself!
Use baby carrots to cut down on prep time if needed.
Ensure your roasting veggies are all cut to similar size to ensure even cooking – cut harder veg smaller than soft veg (ex: cut potato and carrot to similar size, but ensure fennel and onion are slightly larger wedges to avoid burning as they cook faster).
I really love using agretti with this recipe, but any hardy green would be lovely! Thinly slice (or use baby greens instead) kale, spinach, chard, bok choy, etc. Or, add some broccoli to your roast veggie selection.
AIP – to make Autoimmune Protocol eliminations stage friendly: use sweet potato, rutabaga, or parsnip instead of regular potatoes. Omit pepper.
Steak + Roast Veggie Bowl | Quick Weeknight DinnerCourse: Uncategorized
1 ribeye or sirloin steak, cut into strips or chunks (see recipe notes above)
2 medium yellow potatoes (1 large russet), cut in 2-inch wedges (see recipe notes above)
1 medium fennel bulb, sliced in large wedges
1 medium carrot OR handful baby carrots, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 small onion, cut in wedges
large handful hardy greens (agretti, kale, spinach, chard), sliced thin
slug of olive oil
salt + pepper, to taste
pinch thyme, rosemary, or other desired herbs
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Place carrots, fennel, onion, and potato in an even layer on the sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and desired herbs. Place in oven to roast for about 20 mins, or until crispy at edges.
- Heat a fry pan to medium heat, add a slug of olive oil and add steak strips. Season with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides, cooking for about 15 mins (or desired wellness – I like medium rare).
- In the last few minutes, add greens to pan and saute with the meat for a couple minutes before turning off heat.
- Your veggies should be getting crispy now – remove from oven, add the steak and greens, then serve up your quick, nutritious, and delicious weeknight meal!