This simple Lovely Lemon Lentil Soup has become a favourite, especially when it’s time for a fridge clean out! Toothsome and nourishing, yet light and fresh, red lentils cook up quickly and adapt well to many different flavour combinations. I love adding lots of lemon, and switching up the herbs and spices depending on the season (such as warming ginger and garlic in Autumn, and lighter dill and basil in Spring).
Lentils are the perfect blank canvas for a myriad of flavours and textures. You can blend your soup until silky smooth, or leave it rustically chunky as pictured here. It’s delicious both hot and cold, making it a nice summer soup that still satisfies. It’s also a great addition to your batch cooking routine as it makes enough for a few meals (depending on how many you are serving) and freezes beautifully – an economical meal prep star!
Add in whatever you have on hand that sounds tasty – fennel, celery, cubed squash, chopped greens, zucchini, etc. Top with baby greens or fresh herbs such as cilantro, parsley or mint and an extra splash of lemon juice to liven things up!
Lovely Lemon Lentil SoupCourse: Dinner, Fibre, Food Prep, Plant-based, Recipes, Soup+Sides, Vegan, Veggies
3 cups dry red lentils, rinsed in cool water
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp each: cumin, turmeric, ginger OR dill, fennel leaf, basil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen diced butternut or zucchini
2 stalks celery or 1 small fennel bulb, sliced
1-2 cups chopped kale or spinach
Juice from 2 lemons
8 cups water or broth
- Optional Toppings
Fresh herbs – cilantro, parsely, basil, mint, etc.
1 Tbsp hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, or capers
Swirl of pesto
- In a large pot, add oil, spices or herbs, garlic and onion, and saute lightly until fragrant.
- Stir in chopped veggies of choice and saute another 5-10 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add rinsed lentils and water or stock, and stir to incorporate.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until everything has cooked through (stirring occasionally).
- Adjust to your preference by blending smooth, or leave as is for more texture.
- To serve, I like to top mine with chopped parsley or cilantro. This soup keeps in the fridge for about a week, and also freezes beautifully. Enjoy!
Did you love this Lovely Lemon Lentil Soup? Here’s More Meal-Prep + Freezer-Friendly Recipes:
Zucchini Fennel Fritters
Ginger Lime Borscht
Gingered Pear + Apricot Muffins
Greek-Inspired Lamb Meatballs (don’t freeze the tzatziki!)
N’oatmeal Squash Cookies
Fluffy AIP Biscuits
Chocolate Freezer Macaroons